The Business Department Chair is a full-time, budgeted faculty who works collaboratively with the Dean, the Associate Dean, other Department Chairs, and Course Coordinators, for a 3-year appointment 10 month contract, and reports directly to the Dean of the Business Computer Systems Division. The department chair’s role is to provide effective and innovative leadership to faculty that will ultimately provide students with the skills and knowledge to be future business leaders in an innovative and competitive world market. Leadership in visioning and strategic planning for the department including infusion of new ideas and advances in technology into the curriculum is a critical responsibility.
The department chair is expected to teach a minimum of 12 units per academic year, with one (1) credit hour equaling one (1) unit. In addition to teaching, faculty are expected to maintain at least five (5) office hours per week while class is in session and accept other responsibilities as described below:
- Major responsibilities may include:
- Supervision of full-time faculty including those who teach business and entrepreneurship (including instruction, professional development, promotion, and advancement)
- Development and management of departmental budgets and purchasing
- Oversight of schedule building, enrollment management and curricular development (program and course)
- Implementation and tracking of core work metrics assuring that they are aligned with college, academic affairs and divisional outcomes, learning outcomes assessment, accreditation standards, and student evaluations
- Facilitation of student academic complaint procedures and code of conduct violations
- Supervision of the Center for Entrepreneurial and Business Excellence.
- Routine faculty responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty Job description.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Staff and adjunct faculty management and supervision
- Oversight and participation in community-based partnerships and initiatives
- Performance of all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college’s sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
- The department chair will hold at least a master’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience with an academic background in business, entrepreneurship or technology strongly preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of post-secondary level teaching experience
- Experience within a community college strongly preferred
- Preferred candidates will have work experience in business, technology or entrepreneurship and/or experience in an academic setting including at least two years in a supervisory role
- Preferred candidates will have proven experience integrating the technologies that drive business success including exposure to programming, digital innovation, and other technologies that drive new value and innovation for business
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to identify and set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are mandatory
- Evidence of outstanding interpersonal skills required, including the ability to interact with a diverse range of students (including those with special needs), faculty and staff required
- Ability to work independently, flexibly, and as part of a team required
- Evidence of knowledge and practice of a variety of teaching delivery methods necessary
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this position
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
Compensation: Starting salary ranging from $59,000 – $72,750, commensurate with experience plus excellent medical insurances, paid leaves and tuition reimbursement
Rank: to be determined
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: 3/8/19
This is a 10-month faculty position.
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
About Howard Community College
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!