Founded in 1920, Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) is a Christ-centered academic community committed to changing the world by developing students in character, scholarship and leadership. The School of Service and Leadership is seeking an accomplished individual to join the faculty in our Department of Leadership Studies
The selected candidate will provide thought leadership that positively influences the quality and relevance of program offerings in organizational leadership, both current and under development. S(he) will make substantial contributions that will increase the visibility of IWU’s leadership degrees and integrate new technologies for teaching and learning on-campus, online and blended modalities. In addition to this highly collaborative work, (s)he is expected to be a leader across the university and within the broader academic and professional communities to embrace the university’s Christian mission. The position is a full time appointment. It is a distance faculty position, but the selected candidate will be required to come to campus in Marion, Indiana several times per year. Some of the teaching assignments will have an onsite, face-to-face classroom component.
Chair, Department of Leadership Studies
The candidate will hold a doctorate in leadership or closely related field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned courses. Courses are taught online and onsite in Indiana. Teach at the week-long summer institute held at the Marion, IN campus each summer. Attend other required activities in Marion or Indianapolis, IN several times (e.g., 4 – 5) per year.
- Integrate Christian faith with learning for all subjects taught. Develop courses related to subjects that are taught.
- Conduct research in leadership and supervise dissertation research. Publish or present on a regular basis in scholarly journals or at scholarly conferences. Moderate and serve as a member of comprehensive exam committees.
- Mentor adjunct faculty. Assist with program evaluation. Assist with new program development.
- Review and approve applicants to the doctoral program.
- Participate in faculty development and university faculty meetings. Participate in university and committee assignments.
According to Indiana Wesleyan University employment policy all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.
- Significant leadership experience, measured by both length of service and level of responsibility. A record of effective teaching at the graduate level. Knowledge and experience in a wide variety of global leadership contexts is preferred.
- An active scholarship agenda that includes research, publications, presentations and service. Proficiency with multiple research methods and ability to teach doctoral level research. The ability to serve immediately on dissertation committees and demonstrated potential for advising future doctoral students in the capacity of dissertation committee chair.
- Knowledge of online course and student assessment technologies.
- A strong commitment to realizing IWU’s missional learning outcomes. A vibrant Christian faith exemplified by regular church involvements, active Christian service, adherence to IWU’s Community Lifestyle Standards, and a heartfelt calling to endeavors that further the application of Biblical precepts to professional education.
- Indiana Wesleyan University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from diverse candidates.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
As a religious educational institution operating under the auspices of The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (42 U.S.C., Sections 2000e-1 and 2000e-2).
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer